Re: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA: portability...

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 04:23:06PM -0500, John Doty wrote:
> Hmm, installing on my student's Red Hat 7 system wasn't that hard. A few
> "tar x; configure; make" operations and all was fine. I put the
> gEDA-specific stuff into /usr/local to avoid conflicts. On my own
> MacOSX+Fink system it was even easier, since guile 1.4 was already there.
>
> A competent "random IT guy" ought to be able put together a CD with the
> tarballs and a script to do this. There are other approaches, too (NFS and
> cachefs come to mind). I think your trouble is really more with RPM than
> with gEDA: the idea that a single set of libraries can satisfy all
> dependencies of all applications distributed in binary doesn't work very
> well in the real world.

All together now:

apt-get install geda

Sorry, but I find it amusing, having watched all the debate about dependency
problems and the like, and yet Debian has solved this problem. I have geda
running on about 10% of my machines, and it has never been more difficult to
install than apt-get install geda.