Re: gEDA-user: footprint=none

Hmmm . . .

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:46:50 -0500 (EST)
> sdb@cloud9.net (Stuart Brorson) wrote:
> > Why have a footprint attribute at all?  I would just omit the attrib
> > if  there is no associated PCB footprint.  It is not required.
>
> But if there's no footprint attib, wouldn't the symbol also need to
> have the graphical=1 attrib?  Otherwise the current gsch2pcb/gnetlist
> backend would get confused.

Yeah, I admit that in my limited experience with gEDA & PCB design I
netlisted to a Protel file format.  Therefore, I wasn't thinking about
gsch2pcb. . . .

> To cover the bases, I could make gsch2pcb aware of a "none" footprint...

This seems to be emminently sensible.  There are plenty of times one
wants to include a "footprintless" part in a schematic, but not have
it upset the netlister/pcb package.

Stuart