Re: gEDA-user: Plastic Ball Grid Array (PBGA) packages?

M. P. Dickens wrote:

Dark IR is nothing more than ir energy that is not visable to
the human eye. For instance, IR heat lamps used to heat food are
red. OTOH, ceramic fixtures and bulbs made of ceramic emit ir
energy without producing any (Or very few) photons.
 > Karel Kulhavy wrote:

What is dark IR? I know what IR is but don't know what a dark IR is.

<pedant>
IR is 'dark' by definition, in exactly the same way that a radio transmitter is 'dark'; that's what the 'I' means ('Infra' = 'under'-red; radio is even further 'under'-red). IR photons have an energy which is just less than, ie. a wavelength which is just longer than, the bottom end of the visible spectrum (ie. 'red' photons). IR lamps heat by radiation, ie. emitting photons.

Most IR sources will be spectrally impure; in other words, they will emit photons with a wide range of energies, including 'red' ones.
</pedant>