Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

harry eaton wrote:

I wonder why they get so hot that they need
fans when there are no power connections.  My point is it's usually possible
to route a board with far fewer layers than are actually used.

The world has changed quite a bit since the birth of 'pcb': With very high density, very high pin count chips, it is simply topologically impossible, even with micro-vias, to fit all the necessary connections into less then 4 or perhaps 6 inner routing layers, no matter how much you try and how much routing space you can 'waste' on the outside. Add to that 2 power planes and 2 outer layers (which on very high density SMT is pretty useless for routing, anyway), you quickly end up with a total of 10 copper layers.

Commericial products like high-end PC graphics boards routinely use 10 layers now-a-days.

Another issue is that from an economical point-of.view, it makes total sense in many low volume applications to spend less time doing smart routing, and instead go for 2 more layers. 10 and to a certain extent 12 layer PCBs have now become common and economical (from a total economy point of view). Of course, the possibility/necessity of more ground planes and better signal integrity is another argument for more layers in certain applications.

Since I now know there
are some fairly high-end-complexity users out there I will extend the copper
layer support to 16 soon

16 layers should be "enough for everyone" for some definition of 'the future'.

Egil