Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:05:00 -0500 (EST), Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > OTOH, I don't like the current layer arrangement in PCB, which
> > > provides separate tabs for metal_top and GND_top (i.e. plane), and so
> > > on.  There should be one tab per layer & you should handle plane
> > > vs. routing layer issues using positive and negative layers.
> >
> > You're talking about the layer groups.  I think those exist just so
> > you can have different nets be different colors, even when on the same
> > physical layer.
>
> Perhaps.  Even so, I don't think that different nets should be
> different colors on the same layer.  The focus of a layout program is
> the board's layers, not the nets.  Therefore, everything on the same
> layer should be the same color.

but the default grouping highlights one of the more useful cases--
some nets (power and ground) need to be handled differently than
others (signal). If you have the luxury of a multi-layer board, you're
going to want to put them on other layers. Otherwise, it's a good
reminder to route them differently.

--
- Charles Lepple