gEDA-user: Which library to use with gschem/gsch2pcb/pcb

Maybe that is the all user starter question:

I tried to make a schematic with some resistors, transistors, diodes.
Nothing else.

But pcb is not able to handle the results. Transistors give CBE instead of
123. The foorptint "R 0.5W" could not be found. It is in one of the "newlib"
libraries. I saw that the footprint is translated to R-0.5W which is not the
same, OK. I copied the resister file and changed "R 0.5W" to "R0.5W" but the
it could not be found. The symbol is usable from pcb, that is not the
problem.

Question:
Can I use newlib symbols from gschem?
How to add symbols? I found a lot of undeocumented shell script, but have no
idea if I need them if I add something.

After a week of try to use the gschem/gsch2pcb/pcb toolchain I am now
totally confused. Only the R025 old m4 macro style component is working :-(
Nothing else!

I found an older mail where a lot of symbol footprint names are given like
ACY and
ALF. But ALF provides not bigger drill sizes for bigger diodes. This looks a
bit
misterious.

What I need to restart again from scratch:

What library could be used with which footprint names.
And if the actual count of working symbols is as less I expect: How to
create
new symbols, add them to newlib, make them visible from gsch2pcb.

OK. There are some docs, but there is described how to paint them. But not
how I can add them to the complete toolchain.

Sorry, but after a week of wasted time I am totally confused!

In hope that the old and not working libraries would be thrown away as soon
as possible. For my opinion it makes no sense to keep the unworking stuff
in the download areas at all.

Thanks
    Klaus

--
+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben