Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion: GUI

While working on fixing the problems with the mode buttons only

working on some combinations of X and window managers I realized how
old the Athena Widgets are by now. As other people noticed, finding
good documentation is a little hard but more importantly getting help
is not easy at all. I asked for help in a few related newsgroups but
the answers I got were not terribly helpful.

I think another aspect that certainly applied to me was that my
interest for spending hours trying to understand how the Athena
Widgets work just to fix a stupid bug felt like a waste of
time. Spending that time on GTK+ though I felt was more rewarding
because I could actually use that for new program development.

<snip>

Tim Edwards is working on making on converting pcb's GUI into a TCL-TK based one. He just told me yesterday that he's probably about 1/2 done already.

I have no love for the Athena widgets and in fact spent a fair amount of time re-organizing the code so that their use would appear in as few files as possible. Besides difficulty troubleshooting bugs, it's damn hard implementing simple dialogs too.

harry