Re: gEDA-user: PAL/CPLD programming

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:48:34 -0600, Bert Douglas <bertd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recently did a similar search.  I had to modify a pal in a 15 year old
> design, and the original tools are long gone.
>
> It seems no one is using 22v10s any more in new designs, and it is difficult
> to find software.

I suppose we'll have to switch to CPLD's or FPGA's before too long.
The nice thing about PALs is that we can give the students assignments
covering one basic idea that they can do in about a week and they
still have to do an efficient enough design that it fits in a 22v10.
With a 20,000 gate FPGA you have to have  fairly complex design before
efficiency becomes a concern...

> One of the final versions of palasm from MMI/AMD has been made free as in
> beer.  It is a DOS program.
> http://vision.ece.uic.edu/class/ece465/palasm/
> With some trickery I was able to install it on windows xp.  It will probably
> work in dosemu.  AMD has since spun off their pld division to Vantis.  You
> might search there as well.
>
> Palasm is not pretty, but you can't get much in a 22v10 anyway, so it
> doesn't really matter.

I agree the Palasm program is kind of ugly by today's standards.
We've got a copy around here somewhere.  At least the PALASM language
is pretty simple to teach.  Unfortunately it doesn't work for the
particular MACH parts we have....

--
Bill Dieter.
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering