Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:12:53AM +0100, Mario Klebsch wrote:
> >I also agree with the poster who said that the first step is to
> >separate the GUI code from the other code.  Ales has looked at this
> >briefly & says that about 1/3 of this is already done, 1/3 is trivial,
> >and 1/3 of the GUI code is tightly bound to the rest of the program.
>
> Pcb uses Xt actions for its UI-Interactions. actons are used internally
> in Xaw, so Xaw-internals and application-internals are mixed up here.
> Someone would have to sort out this stuff.

Agreed, this will have to be the first step in order to create a
stable and maintainable codebase. This is hard to do though, hopefully
the person working on the Tk port will do most of this work.

> >Since there is apparently a Tk port coming, perhaps we can use that as
> >a base from which to port to GTK,
>
> Tk requires code written in tcl. I would not suggest basing a Gtk based
> app on this tcl code.

Umm, there are many binding for Tk available... I have user Perl/Tk
myself and I know there are more available ( Ada/Tk anyone? ).

--
Daniel Nilsson