gEDA-user: Please help with another PCB annoyance :-)

Hi PCB power users --

Another PCB annoyance which frustrates me is that I often cannot grab
the silkscreen refdes of a component to move it.  That is, I click on
a component refdes with the selection tool, and the refdes lights up,
but then when I try to drag it, the refdes won't go anywhere.

Questions:

*  Is there a way to force selection of a particular graphical
element?  In some programs (e.g. Allegro), when you select a component
in a densely populated area you can depress the right mouse button and
you will get a pick list of items which you can select.  Once you
select a particular item (e.g. component refdes), only that item
moves.  Does PCB have a similar facility?

*  Assuming I have the refdes selected, and it's lit up, how can I
then force PCB to move it?

I apologize if this is in the FAQ. . . .

Stuart