Re: gEDA-user: adding footprints?!

Here are some recommendations:

1.  Bill Wilson maintains an excellent tutorial about gsch2pcb & PCB
here:

http://web.wt.net/~billw/gsch2pcb/tutorial.html

Read it if you haven't already.

2.  I recommend you create a
footprints directory in your local project dir. Then, create a
"project" file in your local project dir, and put the following in the
"project" file:

schematics InorBoard.sch

m4-pcbdir /usr/local/geda/share/pcb/m4
elements-dir /usr/local/geda/share/pcb/newlib
elements-dir /usr/local/geda/share/pcb/pcb-elements
elements-dir ./footprints

output-name InorBoard

Of course, replace all the stuff local to my system with stuff apropos
to yours.   Of particular importance is the "elements-dir
./footprints", which points to my local footprints dir.  That's where
you should stick all your footprints.

3.  Avoid M4 footprints like the plague.  Make your footprints using
the newlib constructs.  This simply is a text file holding definitions
about all the graphical elements in your footprint.  Steve Meier wrote
a nice doc about how to make newlib footprints; you can get his doc
here:

http://www.meierrippin.com/pcb_landpattern_design.pdf

The doc is still in process, but there is enough useful info in there
that it will get you 90% of the way to your goal.

4.  You can (sort of) easily create a newlib footprint as follows:

  1.  Select the pcb-bin-library window.
  2.  Click on and place a footprint similar to one which you want.
      You must select a newlib footprint; M4 footprints don't seem to
      work.   The newlib footprints are in libraries whose names start
      with ~.
  3.  Select the footprint using the selection tool.
  4.  Do "buffer->copy selection to buffer".  It will ask you to press
      a  button at the element's location.  I usually just touch the
      middle of the part.
  5.  Then do "buffer->convert buffer to element".  Don't do anything
      to get rid fo the ghost part which will accompany your cursor as
      you move it around.  If this step works
      successfully, PCB will emit a beep.
  6.  Then do "buffer->save buffer elements to file".  Select your
      local footprints dir and save it in there.
  7.  Open the footprint up with a text editor & edit it.   Use the
      info from Steve's doc to set parameters of your footprint.  You
      may have to play around to make your footprints perfect, but
      it's not hard once you get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Stuart