gEDA-user: PCB: Can not enter '/' in File Selections?

The file selection dialogs in PCB do not allow the entry of the forward-slash
character '/'.  I always thought this was a bug, but in looking at the code
this character is deliberately not allowed to be entered.

"   ... additionally ignore 'spaces' and 'slashes' during input ..."

I was wondering why?  Is it a security risk?

I'd like to be able to just type in the path I want, as I can type far
faster than I can point&click.  I just submitted patch #1103321
that adds a directory history and 'HOME' , to ease some of the
point&click pain, to the file selection preset widget.