Re: gEDA-user: Reload footprints into PCB?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:37:19 -0500 (EST)
sdb@xxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Brorson) wrote:

> As promised, here are two out of my three action items:
>
> 1.  To fix the footprint, I was unable to just edit the file.  It
> turns out that PCB munges the internals of the footprint (i.e. Pad and
> ElementLine) when it rotates the part.   Bad, bad, bad!  That means
> that if you have rotated your part, then you can't just cut-'n-paste a
> copy of your new footprint into place.  You have to rotate it first.

That's why gsch2pcb can't safely replace those parts.  I did code a
gsch2pcb version which had a --replace option, the -h help said:

   -R, --replace EL      Replace all occurrences of EL in the layout with
                         the current PCB library version to keep library
                         edits in sync with the layout.  Only PCB >= 1.7
                         library element formats are recognized.

But I couldn't release it because of the rotation problem.

Bill