Re: gEDA-user: Contact reliability

On Jan 19, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Igor Izyumin wrote:
Currently, Ronja is using wire nuts. We haven't yet noticed a failure tracked
down to a wire nut and they are mechanically rugged. Also they seem to perform
fairly well up to say 300MHz (when the incoming and outgoing cables are
impedance-matched coaxials) according to edge observations on oscilloscope.

Technically, these aren't wire nuts, they are terminal strips. Wire nuts are used (at least in the USA) as a sloppy (but code-compliant) way to connect power wires together (you twist the cables together and screw on the wire nut). Here's a picture of some: http://www.dansmc.com/wire_nuts.jpg

Ugh. I despise wire nuts.

What's wrong with high-quality gold-plated BNC connectors? If it won't be exposed to weather, they will work very well.

TNC connectors are similar in size to BNCs, but are weatherproof if properly installed. They also handle higher frequencies better than BNC.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi