Re: gEDA-user: gattrib corrupts data

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 06:13:02PM -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hmmmm. . . .  This is not good.  Please answer a few questions.
>
> > I am loading schematic repeatedly in gschem and gattrib. It results in
> > data corruption. For example, I had attributes
> > device=1N4184, value="" and changed them to device=DIODE, value="1N418".
> > The same with 2N3904 and BC547 transistors. Then saved.
>
> 1.  "Device" is an attribute which is supposed to live on a symbol,
> and not be promoted to schematic level.  If you are attaching "device"
> at the schematic level, I am not sure if it causes a problem or not.
> The routines in libgeda specifically don't promote "device" from
> symbols.  I don't know what the behavior is if they find "device" on a
> schematic.

But then there are two problems:
1) if I present a shopping list with "OSC", the guy (or a lady in Brazil)
at the counter won't know what it is
2) I have to make extra symbols for 7400, 74HC00, 74LS00, 74S00, 74ALS00, 74AS00,
74HCT00, 74AC00, 74ACT00, 74LVX00 or whatever (wome of them may be wrong ;-) ).
I don't know what exactly "promote" is but when I make the symbol with
changeable device attribute, then I simply fill it in and that's it and just
one 7400 symbol suffices.

> Questions:  Did the value attribute come up correctly? Or were both
> device and value gone?

Yes also value attribs were gone.

> > Then loaded it into gschem. The attribs weren't there.
> > Then loaded into gattrib. They weren't there too.
>
> 2.  Did you hit return when you entered the values?  I have seen some
> intermittant cases where attrib values don't get entered if you just
> type in the value, then do "file->save" without hitting return or
> moving to another cell.

Yes I did.

> To be on the safe side, I ususally save twice when using gattrib; I
> also move the cursor around a little between the two saves.
>
> Yes, this is not a good behavior & I am looking for the problem so I
> can fix it.
>
> > I am going to stop using gattrib and use gschem only (after I fix
> > the schematic).
>
> With a little care you can continue to use both.  I do, and haven't
> been badly bitten. . . .  knock wood . . . .
>
> > It happened to me more times. But I also thought it was I forgot saving.
>
> This is an interesting point.  I am planning on implementing a
> lockfile system so that people using gschem and gattrib together won't
> get out of synch with their saving.  I will post some ideas about that

No. I have been using one after another.

Cl<