Unicode support (was Re: Calling all beta testers! Re: gEDA-user: Check for same refdes)

Hi all,
I'm moving this thread to geda-dev, as the theme is changing to Unicode
support and development issues.

El dom, 23-01-2005 a las 12:24 -0500, Ales Hvezda escribió:
> Hi Peter,
>
> >when loading a new schemtic, the following message appears on the console:
> >
> >** (gschem:17295): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to=20
> >pango_layout_set_text()
> >
> >but everything seems to work ok. Any idea whats wrong?
> >

> 	What is your locale set to?  (just run the locale command and it
> outputs this info).  Do you have a schematic which includes unicode
> characters?  gschem currently does not support unicode 100% with gtk+ 2.0
>
> 	Having just said that, Carlos, you submitted a patch to me a while
> ago, which did improve unicode support considerably for gtk+ 2.x.
> I still have the file sitting somewhere.  I think I'm ready to apply it
> now that I am dropping support for gtk+ 1.2.x.

The patch didn't break support for gtk+ 1.2.x . It just adds support for
Unicode when using gtk+ 2.x, and leave things as they were when using
gtk+ 1.2.x . It can be found at:
http://archives.seul.org/geda/dev/Oct-2003/msg00071.html

Just reviewing what I wrote (I don't trust my memory after so much
time ;-) ), it improves libgeda to handle the first page of unicode.
Currently, there is defined a font_set array holding all supported
characters. Supporting Unicode with this scheme means having an array of
2^32 bytes in memory, which has no sense for me.
I strongly feel that string support needs to be improved, and it means
changing the font_set scheme. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Carlos

Alquila tu vehículo al mejor precio con HERTZ
¡ 60 euros por el fin de semana !
http://tracker.tradedoubler.com/click?p 846&a37797