Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

FWIW, a giant licence discussion took place on the opencores list last
month.   The general consensus was that the GPL really didn't fit the
situation presented by hardware that well.  Some people there posted
some proposed licenses which were more appropriate for IP cores.  The
same (or a similar) license might be used for PCB footprints IMO,
because the issues are very similar.

Browse over to http://www.opencores.org/ for more info.

Personally, I don't see any reason why the footprints couldn't be BSD
v.2 licensed.  It's an FSF approved license so it makes GPL'ed
programs happy, and is general enough to cover hardware also.  (It
has no requirements about "derived works".)

Stuart