Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

Marvin --

> Hello Stuart!
>
> Thanks for responding! In our office, we have talked about this issue.
> We have no problem with using our resources and throwing up a webpage=20
> for this purpose or donating the footprints/elements that we make into the=
> =20
> project. So, by Monday of next week, there will be a webpage with a=20
> repository. I'll post the url as soon as I have it.

Thank you for stepping up to this task!  It's great to see somebody
seize the initiative and make a valuable resource like this happen!
You and your office should be thanked by everybody who uses your web
page!  I'm certain that your web page will become very popular with
folks working with PCB world-wide.

> I do, however, have one question: Exactly how does the gpl play into the
> use of elements/footprints in commerical designs? Would someone on this
> list who is who has been there/done that, chime in?! =20

IIRC, we've talked about this previously, and the consensus is that
the gEDA Suite is GPL'ed, but there is no reason that non-GPL symbols
can't be used with it.  Moreover, if you have proprietary symbols, I
can't imagine that they would be "contaminated" by using them in a
GPL'ed program.  I imagine the situation is similar to editing
proprietary documents using OpenOffice, or creating proprietary
designs using gEDA, or compiling proprietary programs using gcc.

Of course, IANAL.

Stuart