Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

Hello Stuart

I do, however, have one question: Exactly how does the gpl play into the
use of elements/footprints in commerical designs? Would someone on this
list who is who has been there/done that, chime in?! =20

IIRC, we've talked about this previously, and the consensus is that the gEDA Suite is GPL'ed, but there is no reason that non-GPL symbols can't be used with it. Moreover, if you have proprietary symbols, I can't imagine that they would be "contaminated" by using them in a GPL'ed program. I imagine the situation is similar to editing proprietary documents using OpenOffice, or creating proprietary designs using gEDA, or compiling proprietary programs using gcc.

Of course, IANAL.

Stuart

I think the question is the other way around, what happens if you use GPL/ed footprints/components in an commerical design, Will somebody come along and say that you'll have to give the schematics/pcb files to the public becuase you used GPL'ed Symbols/Footprints to produce the board. Kind of like with a few manufacturers of Routers who used a linux based Firewall and were forced to release the source of their firmware, but I don't know if this would apply to using some footprints too.

Maybe it would be possible to get the footprints/symbols under a license similar to the one of the libc, which allows you to use it in commercial projects without having to release the source of your project.

ciao

      Florian