Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

Karel Kulhavy wrote:

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:14:08PM -0500, Daniel Nilsson wrote:

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 07:10:34PM -0500, harry eaton wrote:

but nothing beyond 6 layers.  It is rare indeed that more than 8 copper
layers are required. Usually when 10 and 12 layer boards are made it is
because the designers are lazy.

The Pentium processor chip has only 7 wiring layers; it must be of "medium
to low" complexity!

Harry,

I think this brings up an interesting point, you need to use the right
tool for the job. With that I mean that there are "classes" of tools
for various complexity levels on a design. For the complexity levels
that I think the gEDA tools aim today I agree that more then 12 layers
should be very rare. But I can on the other hand say that at work we
have very few boards (if any) that would be routable on a 12 layer
PCB. I have worked on several designs that required 20 layers to be
routable for example. But that doesn't really matter because we would
not be able to use gEDA/PCB for layout work for so many other reasons
so I consider what we do at work as a different complexity level that
the gEDA tools currently don't aim for. But for my home projects PCB
is a great tool and exactly what I need to do the job, which is a job
of much lower complexity.

How many layers does a typical motherboard have?

Cl<

Hello

I believe I read that AMD changed the pinout of the Socket 939 so they can use a 4 layer board instead of a 6 layer board for the 940.. so 4 to 6 ? :)

ciao

      Florian