Re: RHEL (was: Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff)

Stuart Brorson wrote:

The reason Apple could do this is that they acutally have revenue, and
can therefore support great developers to work on their products
full-time.  *That's* what Linux lacks right now -- a self-sustaining
business model.

Finally, I'll point out that Red Hat finally became profitable last
year, when the instituted the new pricing policy.  Prior to that, they
basically ran in the red for 8 or 9 years, living on VC cash and the
blind hope of folks who bought the stock at the IPO.  Sure, we all
like to get things for free, but if Linux is going to develop at the
same pace as the rest of the computer industry, it needs to find a way
to support itself.

I agree 100%, and I think RHEL will eventually provide the answer. The problem is, they won't get there just by selling support contracts.

BTW, if anyone has a link to the stripped-out version, I'd appreciate it. I spent some time looking a couple of months ago and found nothing.

Why not use Fedora? Isn't it basically RedHat without support & some
server packages?

I do (RH7.2 and FC2). The problem is, I don't know exactly how it differs from RHEL, and the EDA vendors only 'support' RHEL. I think (don't know yet) that FC is much more unpolished. As an aside, it was a pig to install on my laptop; it doesn't understand laptops.

Evan