Re: gEDA-user: PCB suggestion

harry eaton wrote:

It's not true that pcb has a "fundamental" limit of 8 layers. There are 8
copper layers. There are TWO silkscreen layers IN ADDITIONto the 8 COPPER
LAYERS. You can draw lines, arcs and polygons on the silk layers. It's
fairly straightforward to add several non-copper layers for things like
keep-outs, outline, or the mask layers. The hard part is implementing the
functionality associated with those layers. It's more of a "fundamental"
limit to go beyond 8 copper layers but then nobody has ever, to my
knowledge, built an 8 layer board with pcb. I know of a few 6 layer boards,
many 4 layer boards, tons of double-sided boards and few single-sided boards
but nothing beyond 6 layers.  It is rare indeed that more than 8 copper
layers are required. Usually when 10 and 12 layer boards are made it is
because the designers are lazy.

I'd like to add a data point to Harry's comment, we made an 8 layer board with PCB, it was approximately 10"x10". The 900 pin BGA device drove up the layer count. We needed six signal layers to break out the device, plus two power planes. Ideally, we would have had another couple of power planes for signal integrity, but this was a prototype test card and had very slow edge rates.

More copper layers would have been very handy indeed.

The last board we did (using commercial tools, unfortunately) had 18 layers. It had close to 5000 nets, we had no choice but to use the auto-router. Despite our best efforts, the autorouter would not converge, with the signal integrity rules we had set, with anything less than 14 or so routing layers. If anyone is lazy, it's the CAD vendor who's autorouter still only does Horizonal/Vertical routing, and not diagonal routing. ( And we, collectively, know how to do something about that! ;-)

Mike

                             Mike Jarabek
                               FPGA/ASIC Designer
http://www.istop.com/~mjarabek