Re: gEDA-user: More footprint stuff

Hi!

Am 26.01.2005 um 18:46 schrieb Florian Steiper:

Hello Stuart

I do, however, have one question: Exactly how does the gpl play into the
use of elements/footprints in commerical designs? Would someone on this
list who is who has been there/done that, chime in?! =20

IIRC, we've talked about this previously, and the consensus is that the gEDA Suite is GPL'ed, but there is no reason that non-GPL symbols can't be used with it. Moreover, if you have proprietary symbols, I can't imagine that they would be "contaminated" by using them in a GPL'ed program. I imagine the situation is similar to editing proprietary documents using OpenOffice, or creating proprietary designs using gEDA, or compiling proprietary programs using gcc.

Of course, IANAL.

Stuart

I think the question is the other way around, what happens if you use GPL/ed footprints/components in an commerical design, Will somebody come along and say that you'll have to give the schematics/pcb files to the public becuase you used GPL'ed Symbols/Footprints to produce the board.

The GPL does not force you to open anything, as long as you don't give away your work.

Whe question to discuss here could be, wehter the artwork produced by PCB (Gerber-Files) or the board itself is subject to GPL. The artwork does indeed includes the symbols, which might be GPL'ed and when you make this artwork available to someone else, you would have to make your pcb files available, too. The artwork is a kind of compiler output.

I am not sure, wether this rule can be applied to the boards, too.

Kind of like with a few manufacturers of Routers who used a linux based Firewall and were forced to release the source of their firmware,

If the GPL would touch the boards, too, it would be like requiering the operator of such a linux based firewall to offer the source code to everybody routing packets through this router.

but I don't know if this would apply to using some footprints too.

IANAL, but I thing, the cases do not really compare.

Maybe it would be possible to get the footprints/symbols under a license similar to the one of the libc, which allows you to use it in commercial projects without having to release the source of your project.

Th LGPL requires you to supply your product in a relinkable way. If it would apply to boards, which use LGPL'ed footprints, you would be required to deliver your product in a way, the user can change the footprints later. This would reqzire you to ship a kit and the designs files as well, as the files are needed to change the footprints.

I do not thing, the requirements of LGPL can be satisfied by most comercial designs.

BTW, there are other examples in the free software world, which are facing this problems. For example, a package including a GPL'ed font must somehow rule, wether the printouts using this font are GPL'ed or not. I quess, the TeX-licence could be worth reading. It also might be worth looking into the ghostscript license, too.

73, Mario
- -- Mario Klebsch mario@xxxxxxxxxx
PGP-Key available at http://www.klebsch.de/public.key
Fingerprint DSS: EE7C DBCC D9C8 5DC1 D4DB 1483 30CE 9FB2 A047 9CE0
Diffie-Hellman: D447 4ED6 8A10 2C65 C5E5 8B98 9464 53FF 9382 F518