Re: gEDA-user: lost newbie

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 12:09:30AM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> A few years ago our VCR died.  I opens it up and checks the fuses, one
> is blown.  No problem, I know how to replace a fuse.  Power it up
> again, let the smoke out of one of the transistors.  Ok, now we know
> what the fuse was protecting.

Once I soldered Ronja RX and powered it up and tested and it seemed to
be OK, just no data were passing through.

So I started to open the shielding cans of the Ronja system and when I
came to RX, a horribly stinking smoke came out. One of the resistors was
cremated and the schematic had a big brown smoky blotch on it.

I found out that I soldered the resistor one pin off and instead of
going from power to the video amplifier chip, it went from power to
ground. And it was just couple of ohms for a HF power filter.

The resistor was replaced and the device is I think happily operating now
- still with the charred schematic inside :D

Morale: User Controlled Technology is easy to repair.

CL<