gEDA-user: PCB: Clearing polygons in soldermask

Title: PCB: Clearing polygons in soldermask

I'd like to clear a polygon in a soldermask, because I'd like to have the option of soldering some sheet metal to the surface later. Has this recently been made possible in PCB, either through a key command, a command window entry, or even editing the layout file?

I searched for an answer for this on geda.seul.org and the only thing I found was a a thread in the mailing list which concluded that it couldn't be done. So here I am asking again.

Marshall