Re: gEDA-user: PCB: Clearing polygons in soldermask

Em Sáb 14 Jan 2006 16:30, Jose, Marshall escreveu:
> I'd like to clear a polygon in a soldermask, because I'd like to have the
> option of soldering some sheet metal to the surface later. Has this
> recently been made possible in PCB, either through a key command, a command
> window entry, or even editing the layout file?
>
> I searched for an answer for this on geda.seul.org and the only thing I
> found was a a thread in the mailing list which concluded that it couldn't
> be done. So here I am asking again.
>
> Marshall

No, there are no tools to do it. But you can. I finished yesterday a board
that have such a feature (to solder a shield over an A/D converter). I did
the following.
First, you must route all the board and let some space for your solder area.
Check the DRC, drill, and everything else until you can say your board is
finished and OK (with a smile in your face :D ). Save.
Then, I made so: Draw a line (not a polygon) where you want your solder area
(or just a part of it) in a layer you are not using. Increase the size until
it matches the width and leght you need. Copy the line to outside the board
area, change it to layer 1 (press 1 and then M over the line), select it,
press the button on the mouse to open the popup menu (in my mouse is the
middel button, I always change the buttons in the pcb resource file) and
click on Convert Select to Component. The line changes the color (the default
is dark grey). Press Q over it co make it rectangular, and you have your
solder area. Place the solder area over the line you crated, delete the line
and voilá. If you need more solder areas, just create more. You can add vias
to connect the solder area with the ground plane.
If you want, I can send you my .pcb to take a look.

It is important to know that pressing O will get you erros, so it is important
to finish the board before placing that pads.