Re: gEDA-user: Test pads in PCB

Dan,

Just a quick commnet.

> This follows my general principle of "if it goes on the board, it goes
> on the schematic".

This sounds good in theory, but in practice I see two issues:

1.  Test points on every net clutters the schematic.

2.  This doesn't correspond to ordinary practice in the places where
I've worked.  Everywhere I've worked the layout guy did the testpads
& I didn't have to worry about it, much less change the schematic.
Then, the manufacturing engineers got the test point position info
from him, and created the test fixtures/flying probe program files.
It was transparent to the designers.

Of course, I can imagine that putting/not putting testpoints on
schematics is a religious issue. . . . .

Anyway, these reasons suggest that PCB be capable of handling test
pads independently of the schematic.  I agree they shouldn't be vias.
Rather, they are analogous to vias in that they  are layout specific
structures which PCB could/should support someday.  Maybe I can look
at doing it myself someday . . . .

Just my $0.02,

Stuart