Re: gEDA-user: wont be watching list :(

On Jan 17, 2006, at 5:35 AM, John Sheahan wrote:
Marc. Get yourself a nice used Sun machine. You can pick up something like an Ultra2 for a few tens of dollars these days,
Old workstation hardware (of any variety) is also generally reliable.

and then there is all that fan noise from many Sun boxes.
It might make them reliable, but it does'n make them nice to be near for mine.

Quality construction is what makes them reliable, more so than lots of fans.

That said, though...some Suns are loud, others are not. The high-pitched whine of a tiny Netra X1 can often be heard over pretty much everything else in an average data center, yet an E450...a quad-processor machine with twenty drive bays...large enough that I can just barely lift it...ran completely unnoticed in my dining room (!) for weeks.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "You'll have to be a lot more specific than 'that
Cape Coral, FL girl last night.'" -Ted McFadden