gEDA-user: Re: ideal op amps in gschem

Dan McMahill wrote:

> For very simple stuff it might not hurt to just introduce students to a
> netlist driven simulation.  Sounds like what you're doing is simple
> enough that a netlist won't get out of hand and, speaking as one who
> makes heavy use of simulators professionally, you can never get away
> from needing to understand a netlist.  Just yesterday in fact I spent
> some time looking at a netlist to understand what a GUI set up tool was
> really doing.
>
> You might also take a look at gnucap.  Its pretty easy to use, reads
> spice netlists, and can do things spice doesn't do.
>
> If you do want to use gschem, you can just create a schematic for an
> ideal op-amp which consists of a high gain (you can pick how high is
> high enough) vcvs.  The spice library for geda has a vcvs.  Then I'd
> copy one of the op-amp symbols, open it up and remove the power pins to
> make a 3 terminal one.

I will try to do this. About understanding netlists, I see your point.
But for my work, I not only need to run simulations on small circuits
and plot and show results to the class, I also have a makefile which
makes .net circuit files from .sch files, make eps and pdf of the
schematics to be included in the LaTeX source which I use to produce the
solutions to assignment problems. This is why just the netlists won't be
enough for me. Your point about gnucap, it has motivated to take a look
at this now.

Thanks for your comments and explanations,
best regards,
->HS