Re: gEDA-user: Tin pest

What are actual health hazards of soldering with Sn-Pb solder?  Do you
know about suitable homemade measure to prevent Pb contamination of the
solderer's organism? Is there Pb in the soldering fumes?

I thought the push for lead-free was more to avoid filling landfills with circuit boards containing lead than to protect assemblers.

I keep the soldering station and tools contained in a designated place (not the kitchen table!). Also I always wash with soap and water immediately after doing any soldering. I don't eat while soldering and if I were a smoker I wouldn't smoke either while soldering (hand to mouth contact).

I'm probably more concerned with the fumes from the core than the lead but this may be misguided. You can buy small bench top air filters which you place near what you're soldering. They provide a bit of a down draft and supposedly filter the fumes. I don't know how effective they actually are medically, but I do find that they make the soldering experience a little more pleasant from a subjective point of view.

-Dan