Re: gEDA-user: Tin pest

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 31 January 2006 11:06, Larry Doolittle wrote:
Dave -

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:14:29AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
According to a chemist friend, there is Pb in the solder
fumes...but frankly, I'm 36 and have been soldering regularly since
I was 7...if there was THAT much Pb in there I'd probably be dead by
now.
But do you have any kids?

- Larry <gd&r>

Yeah, 6 of them. 5 still alive, one daughter died of throat cancer about 5 years ago. Never smoked. I've also worked up to my elbows for hours at a time in transformer pcb's. I'm 71, and other than a little sugar & a bay window, in pretty good shape for 71. Your point is?

If you want a disturbing read, try the ingredients found on the side of the box of common
household dish washing detergent (The type used in automatic dish washers). Very
nasty stuff.

With that said: Why shouldn't I try to protect myself against occupational hazards? After all,
they are statistical facts that were collected through years of scientific research. Why should I
playHazardous Materials Russian Roulette? I have nothing to gain and statistically everything to
loose. Now, I understand that this does not mean that every person who is exposed to level n of
a hazardous material will develop health problems - There are two many variable to make such
broad sweeping statements. For instance, I had a Great Aunt who smoke two packs of Pall Mall
Cigarettes a day and she lived to be 93 years of age (40 smokes a day for 80 years...). Never
got cancer or any COPD of any type or kind. She was a statistical anomaly - I don't feel quite that
lucky.

Best

Marvin