Re: gEDA-user: GND vs. PGND

On 1/9/07, Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This almost smells like something which should go into the wiki.....

> I used both (analog) GND and PGND symbols in my layout.  Now after
> running gschem2pcb and loading the netlist file I see that those symbols
> create two separated nets.
>
> Still I want to connect GND and PGND somewhere in my layout without
> making the DRC complain.  I tried to add a connection between GND and
> PGND in my schematic, but that doesn't help.
>
> So is there any way to tell PCB that those two nets are to be treated as
> equivalent?

Not that I know of, although the PCB developers may have an idea.

Here is one suggestion.  Others may have a better idea.

1.  Lay out your board using separate GND and PGND nets.  At your
desired connection point run the metal planes close together, but
don't allow them to touch.

2.  Rename PGND to GND in your .sch files using a script, then
regenerate the netlist.

3.  Reload the netlist in PCB, and connect your two planes at the
desired connection point.

> Or a way to auto-rename PGND to GND?

At first this sounded like a job for Perl, but on second thought I
concluded that you need to be *very* careful that a simple Perl script
doesn't inadvertently rename other things which you don't want to
rename.

Stuart

http://www.luciani.org