Re: gEDA-user: Re: GEDA Code Sprint: Idea

DJ Delorie wrote:

I find this semi fork disconnecting.

I partly agree. One of the ideas behind HID is that you can have two GUIs that *act* differently, not just *look* differently. That way, each GUI could respect the rules of its usability guide. So some differences are to be expected. However, it would be nice if significant functional (i.e. usability) bits were shared, like user definable menus.

Is there anyone to maintain the GTK interface at the moment?

I'm having the same concern. I'm not in a position to use the lesstif version at the moment and am finding that:

1) There are new features that have been added only to the lesstif version that would be a big help (as kaimartin has already stated).

2) There are some subtle things that are broken as a result of the hid split.

( Such as: crosshair snapping to components and pads has changed, the grid doesn't display correctly on the back side ...)

It would be great if the gtk hid could pick up some of these changes, but it would be better yet if it did not regress as a result if the hid split.

Joe T

Not really. Dan fixes bugs in it, but there's nobody to add features to it.

Or will we all switch to lesstif in the long run because this is the
only GUI that can access those shiny new features that the pcb
engine will receive during code sprints?

Drat! My secret plan is out! ;-)

Note that the *engine* features automatically apply to all GUIs.  It's
only the GUI-specific features that are, well, GUI-specific.