Re: gEDA-user: Fitting a hobbyist design into someone else's form factor

In my case, measuring the existing board showed that it was english -
everything lined up nicely on an inch ruler.  Try both rulers and see
if you get lucky.

size of board - you can always be a little too small.

mounting holes - the amount you can be off by is related to the
difference between the hole size and the size of the screw.  Holes can
be about 20 mils big or more, depending on the mounting hardware.

connectors and leds: again, depends on how much leeway the hole that
the connector sticks through has.

I have a small dial caliper I use for such things, so it's always
accurate to 0.001", assuming I can position it accurately enough.  You
can measure mounting holes and such pretty accurately this way.