Re: gEDA-user: I need to open and print a PCB created in ExpressPCB: What are my options?

>Do you think the auto-router could handle a board like that on its
>own?

Maybe.  I don't use it myself for my boards, because I can do better
and my boards tend to be cramped for space.

> Or am I going to need to route my own traces?

Probably, at least for some of them.

> I know the auto-router only really works if you have used the
> "Optimize rats nest" tool to get the best component placement, but I
> thought I'd ask anyway. Oh: and if I were to use the board layout as
> a background than obviously I wouldn't be using the auto-route
> function. :-)

I think you're talking about auto-place, not auto-route.  You can
manually place the parts according to the image, then auto-route them.

> if I can't find the footprint in PCB, would it be difficult to
> create my own?

It's easy to make footprints.  Just draw rectangles in PCB for each
pad, select them all, and convert it to an element.  Then select it
again, and save the selected element to a file.  You can them use that
file name as the footprint in your schematics.

> If so, could I substitute something with the same number of
> thru-holes such as a 3-pin connector for it when I draw my
> schematic?

You could, or draw your own symbol for it.  Or use something like
djboxsym to make a box symbol for it.

> - What is this toner transfer method?

You use the toner itself as the etch resist, by printing on special
paper which comes off easily when wet, or regular glossy paper, which
comes off eventually when wet.

> The method I am trying to describe involves using glossy photo paper to
> print a mirror image of the (top side) of a PCB layout, which you iron onto
> a copper clad board. You then remove the paper by soaking it in lukewarm
> water and place your copper clad board in a tank of etching solution such as
> ferric chloride or some sort of diluted acid.

Yup, that's toner transfer.  You said photo transfer, which usually
means photosensitive boards, UV lights, and extra chemicals.