Re: gEDA-user: geda tarball

On Monday 14 January 2008 04:01:46 Ian Chapman wrote:
> I am in the process of updating my gschem tools to 1.2.0
> stable.  ./configure reported guile not found so I got guile 1.6 from
> the ubuntu package manager.  That was not accepted so I pulled in 1.8
> that was okay but I was missing libgeda so I pulled that in and that
> took out guile 1.8 but left 1.6.  now it reports

I recommend using Guile 1.8 if possible.

> checking for LIBGEDA... no
> configure: error: libgeda detection error: Requested 'libgeda >=
> 20070902' but version of libgeda is 20070626

You have to install a matching version of libgeda before installing any of the
other gEDA tools.

> So I pulled in the tarball libgeda 1.2.1 and ./configure was okay sudo
> make did a lot of work and seems okay and sudo make install too.
>
> Back to gschem1.2.0 sudo ./configure okay sudo make okay sudo make
> install okay.
>
> So lets give it a try.  Applications Education GNU EDA schematic editor
> and NOTHING.  After all that I have lost gschem.  I guess it is
> somewhere on my disk.

Did you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set properly?

There is a known bug with several distributions where LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in
your login script is cleared from your X session by a setuid ssh-agent
wrapper.  This makes it impossible to launch a $HOME prefixed gEDA from X
menus.  And to make matters worse, terminal emulators are often installed
setuid because utempter requires it.

(BTW: you shouldn't configure and make as root, only install):

  ./configure && make && sudo make install

> 	Situation I'm not able to invoke gschem I guess I can always reinstall
> from Ubuntu package manager but I'm sure it's something silly that I've
> done.  Any help greatly appreciated Ian.

My recommendations as to how to set up your environment reliably are here:

  http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Jun-2007/msg00070.html

(instructions are for Fedora, but would probably work on Ubuntu).

I also recommend using the top level Makefile available from the download site
to install gEDA from source, rather than doing it manually.

I hope some of this helps,

                                    Peter

--
Peter Brett