Re: gEDA-user: geda tarball

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 07:27 +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008 04:01:46 Ian Chapman wrote:
> > I am in the process of updating my gschem tools to 1.2.0
> > stable.  ./configure reported guile not found so I got guile 1.6 from
> > the ubuntu package manager.  That was not accepted so I pulled in 1.8
> > that was okay but I was missing libgeda so I pulled that in and that
> > took out guile 1.8 but left 1.6.  now it reports
>
> I recommend using Guile 1.8 if possible.
>
> > checking for LIBGEDA... no
> > configure: error: libgeda detection error: Requested 'libgeda >=
> > 20070902' but version of libgeda is 20070626
>
> You have to install a matching version of libgeda before installing any of the
> other gEDA tools.
>
> > So I pulled in the tarball libgeda 1.2.1 and ./configure was okay sudo
> > make did a lot of work and seems okay and sudo make install too.
> >
> > Back to gschem1.2.0 sudo ./configure okay sudo make okay sudo make
> > install okay.
> >
> > So lets give it a try.  Applications Education GNU EDA schematic editor
> > and NOTHING.  After all that I have lost gschem.  I guess it is
> > somewhere on my disk.
>
> Did you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set properly?
Sorry I did not do other than in the email.

> There is a known bug with several distributions where LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in
> your login script is cleared from your X session by a setuid ssh-agent
> wrapper.  This makes it impossible to launch a $HOME prefixed gEDA from X
> menus.  And to make matters worse, terminal emulators are often installed
> setuid because utempter requires it.
>
> (BTW: you shouldn't configure and make as root, only install):
>
>   ./configure && make && sudo make install
Good info thanks

> > 	Situation I'm not able to invoke gschem I guess I can always reinstall
> > from Ubuntu package manager but I'm sure it's something silly that I've
> > done.  Any help greatly appreciated Ian.
>
> My recommendations as to how to set up your environment reliably are here:
>
>   http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Jun-2007/msg00070.html
You created a shell script file /etc/profile.d/geda.sh
with the following text
export PATH=/opt/geda/bin:${PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/opt/geda/lib

For some strange reason my /etc does not have a profile.d directory to put it in?

> (instructions are for Fedora, but would probably work on Ubuntu).
>
> I also recommend using the top level Makefile available from the download site
> to install gEDA from source, rather than doing it manually.
>
> I hope some of this helps,
Thanks for trying Peter but I think I'm way off the normal path I'll try
getting the Ubuntu package manager to restore the origina.  Regards Ian.