Re: gEDA-user: geda tarball

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 14:45 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 23:01 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> > I am in the process of updating my gschem tools to 1.2.0
> > stable.  ./configure reported guile not found so I got guile 1.6 from
> > the ubuntu package manager.  That was not accepted so I pulled in 1.8
> > that was okay but I was missing libgeda so I pulled that in and that
> > took out guile 1.8 but left 1.6.  now it reports
>
> In "theory", it should work with 1.6 or 1.8. You need the guile-1.?-dev
> package to build.
Ubuntu only offers 1.6 or 1.8dev

> > checking for LIBGEDA... no
> > configure: error: libgeda detection error: Requested 'libgeda >=
> > 20070902' but version of libgeda is 20070626
> >
> > So I pulled in the tarball libgeda 1.2.1 and ./configure was okay sudo
> > make did a lot of work and seems okay and sudo make install too.
>
> In general, running the first stage "make" as root is not needed, and
> represents an un-necessary security risk. (It can harm building some
> packages IIRC).
>
> If should be sufficient to do:
>
> make
> sudo make install
>
> > Back to gschem1.2.0 sudo ./configure okay sudo make okay sudo make
> > install okay.
>
> Same comments about make, and in _this_ case, I can verify it will be OK
> to mix versions. (gschem 1.2.0 _will_ work with libgeda 1.2.1, however
> it is not in general recommended).
>
> > So lets give it a try.  Applications Education GNU EDA schematic editor
> > and NOTHING.  After all that I have lost gschem.  I guess it is
> > somewhere on my disk.
>
> I don't recall where your previous version had come from... apt-get
> install geda-gschem? If so, you probably had a menu entry from the
> Debian package.
Ubuntu Gutsy

> If you are willing to try the 1.3.1 packages (which are precursors to
> the 1.4.0 release), you will get this all setup at install time for you,
> including menu entries and file associations.
I'll try to find it, it's not on the geda download page?

> > 	Situation I'm not able to invoke gschem I guess I can always reinstall
> > from Ubuntu package manager but I'm sure it's something silly that I've
> > done.  Any help greatly appreciated Ian.
>
> Not something silly, just that we didn't install menu icons until later
> than 1.2.x versions.
>
> Assuming geda and libgeda are installed on your path (/usr/local/..
> say), then you should just be able to drop in a menu entry with 1.2.x if
> you want. I've attached some files. They won't pickup icons though.
I can see gEDA in /usr/local/share (plus pcb, pcb20070912,gerbv) but not
libgeda ????
One of my linux low level skills yet to be developed is how to drop from
an e-mail into a directory (win98 it's easy) without having to resort to
unix "sudo mv old new etc"; essentially how do I "sudo drag and drop"?