Re: gEDA-user: geda tarball

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 23:01 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> I am in the process of updating my gschem tools to 1.2.0
> stable.  ./configure reported guile not found so I got guile 1.6 from
> the ubuntu package manager.  That was not accepted so I pulled in 1.8
> that was okay but I was missing libgeda so I pulled that in and that
> took out guile 1.8 but left 1.6.  now it reports

In "theory", it should work with 1.6 or 1.8. You need the guile-1.?-dev
package to build.

> checking for LIBGEDA... no
> configure: error: libgeda detection error: Requested 'libgeda >=
> 20070902' but version of libgeda is 20070626
>
> So I pulled in the tarball libgeda 1.2.1 and ./configure was okay sudo
> make did a lot of work and seems okay and sudo make install too.

In general, running the first stage "make" as root is not needed, and
represents an un-necessary security risk. (It can harm building some
packages IIRC).

If should be sufficient to do:

make
sudo make install

> Back to gschem1.2.0 sudo ./configure okay sudo make okay sudo make
> install okay.

Same comments about make, and in _this_ case, I can verify it will be OK
to mix versions. (gschem 1.2.0 _will_ work with libgeda 1.2.1, however
it is not in general recommended).

> So lets give it a try.  Applications Education GNU EDA schematic editor
> and NOTHING.  After all that I have lost gschem.  I guess it is
> somewhere on my disk.

I don't recall where your previous version had come from... apt-get
install geda-gschem? If so, you probably had a menu entry from the
Debian package.

If you are willing to try the 1.3.1 packages (which are precursors to
the 1.4.0 release), you will get this all setup at install time for you,
including menu entries and file associations.

> 	Situation I'm not able to invoke gschem I guess I can always reinstall
> from Ubuntu package manager but I'm sure it's something silly that I've
> done.  Any help greatly appreciated Ian.

Not something silly, just that we didn't install menu icons until later
than 1.2.x versions.

Assuming geda and libgeda are installed on your path (/usr/local/..
say), then you should just be able to drop in a menu entry with 1.2.x if
you want. I've attached some files. They won't pickup icons though.

You can drop these in /usr/local/share/applications/
or ~/.local/share/applications/ (if you just want them for your user)

Then update the applications database:

sudo update-desktop-database /usr/local/share/applications
or update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,