Re: gEDA-user: geda tarball

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 15:27 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Ian,
>
> It looks like you have several old versions of gEDA on your box.
>
> The gEDA Suite is a bunch of different programs supported by a common
> link-library (the equivalent of a DLL).  You need to upgrade *all* the
> programs *and* the link library at the same time.  If you don't, then
> you will have problems similar to the one you are having now.  What's
> happening is that some random copy of gschem is trying to link some
> other random copy of libgeda, and they are not compatible.
>
> To make your life easier, you should do this:
>
> 1.  Remove *all* old gEDA stuff from your machine.  This includes any
> copies of libgeda you may have in your various system libraries
> (/usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, or whatever prefix you used when installing
> gEDA in teh first place).  Also remove any of the old programs like
> gschem, gattrib, gnetlist, etc.
Done

> 2.  Grab *all* source tarballs from the gEDA website.
I have put them under desktop/Source_gEDA.  The makefile came out as
text in firefox so I pasted it into gedit and saved it in Source_gEDA as
Makefile.

I have gtk and guile1.6 but I do not see glib in Ubuntu package manager.
So I'm on hold for now.

> 3.  Follow the instructions on the gEDA website about building gEDA
> from scratch.  Build and install *all* source tarballs, in exactly the
> order which the top-level makefile wants you to use.  (This will
> happen automatically if you use gEDA's top level Makefile.)
>
> 4.  When you install the new stuff, I recommend you install it in its
> own directory, /usr/local/geda, say.  Set the --prefix to the path you
> want to user.  Then, the next time you want to upgrade, you just need
> to delete and then recreate the directory.
I'm not clear when and what I key in to do this?

> 5.  After installing all teh new stuff, make sure you point your $PATH
> and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the new directories /usr/local/geda/bin, and
> /usr/local/geda/lib, respectively.
Again please excuse me but where and how do I do that.  Do I need to
edit an rc file?  Sorry to be new to linux  Regards Ian.