Re: gEDA-user: Silkscreen over pads again

On Jan 17, 2008 11:01 AM, Levente <leventelist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:38:08 -0500
Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > We changed our minds about this.  We changed PCB so that it showed
> > silk over pads if that's what your design calls for, so if you see
> > silk over pads on the screen, you'll get silk over pads on the board.
> >
> > The magic we chose to go with to deal with the fabs that can't handle
> > cuts is to convert all cuts to multiple polygons instead, so that we
> > never have to use cuts or negative layers.  That was what we used to
> > remove the silk, and too many fabs didn't like it.
> >
> > Which fab is it?  Are they unable to fix the problem themselves?
>
> A DRC check for silk on pads would probably be good.  In my past life,
> we always had in house reviews of the gerbers and weren't allowed to
> send them to a board vendor until there was no silk on the pads

Yes. In the other hand however, it may be good to have code in PCB that
optionally removes silkscreen from pads. For an example, please see this
photo. What you can see is a power transistor, and a thermo-resistor.

http://logonex.eu/gallery/tns/c4.html

Best wishes,

--
Levente
http://web.interware.hu/lekovacs

I also believe that it would be good if PCB could remove overlapping silkscreen although the fab house I've used seems to be able to do it themselves.

I don't get the picture.  It looks like a power transistor and a diode, and I don't see obvious silkscreen overlap.

Joe T