Re: gEDA-user: 2 pcb questions...

 One is the apparence of a large X drawn with a thin line near
 where I am working.  If I click on it, it goes away only to
 reappear again later.

The red x is part of the measurement tool. See pg30 of pcb.pdf of the manual. For instructions on how to use it.

  The other is that pads of several components that are on the
 same net that I am routing turn orange.  I can usually click
 away from them and the color goes back to normal.

The orange PAD's I think mean there is a short between 2 different nets some where on the pcb.

Hope this helps.
Refael.