Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog issues with Teal

Matt Ettus wrote:
[...]
> Günter,
>
> I am also interested in trying Teal/Truss.  Do you like using it?  Is
> it worth the effort to learn?  And how well does it work with Icarus
> in general?

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I have not used it very much yet. I got the book about a
year ago and started trying out the software. I ran into several issues
with the software, which partly had to do with my inexperience. After
that first try I had not use it for a long time as I had no need for it
and not the time to figure out how to get it going. In the recent weeks
I have started spending some more time with it again.

I have a 32-bit computer with SUSE 10.0 and gcc 4.0. I found two issues
with the software, that unfortunately did not make it into a release
yet. It seems like not too many people are using the C++ version. The
code I have compiles fine now, at least the alu example seems to verify
correct.

I also have a 64-bit computer with openSUSE 10.2 and gcc 4.1. It seems
like that gcc 4.1 is tougher with error checking and I ran into several
more issues to get the code to compile on this computer. Unfortunately
after all those changes there must be still another issue and I don't
know whether it has to do with the 64-bit architecture or the compiler.
But some basic teal tests do not work and I am still trying to figure
that out now.

So far I have read the book about half through and peeked through the
other half. In my opinion the book is very well written and very
practical oriented.

I don't have much verification experience yet, so take my words with a
grain of salt. I like the Teal/Truss approach, as I think it is very
well thought through and the code for the framework is very simple and
can be maintained by someone experienced in C++. Unfortunately I think
it will still need some work to make it more user friendly and probably
also to root out some errors.

Considering the framework again, I think the advantage is that you have
with the book all the knowledge you need to start a simple verification
job, but can scale up to a much more complex design. The book actually
shows this in two chapters. In one chapter it walks you through the
verification of a UART 16550 from OpenCores and in the next it shows how
to put 4 of those UARTs into a design and then do the verification for them.

Hope this gives you some idea.

Cheers,

Guenter

PS: The two errors you need to fix to get the 1.40b compile with gcc 4.0
and work with Icarus are documented in this discussion thread:

http://trusster.com/node/95

However, I see there are also changes in the svn repository
svn.trusster.com, that I had not considered yet.