Re: gEDA-user: Solaris build problems, 'elp?

On Jan 5, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
>>    THAT'S gonna be a nasty can of worms to get built. :-(
>
> You'll need cairo (go ahead and get the 1.8.x version, its better than
> the old ones), libpixman (again, the later the better). Might need a
> particular pango version, I'm not sure. GLib needs to be a particular
> version for a given GTK version.
>
> In all of the above cases, I can only recommend getting the latest
> stable released versions of all the software. GTK 2.8 etc.. is just a
> minimum.

   I am midway through the huge pile of dependencies.  I'm pleased to
report that the "all the world's a 32-bit PC running Linux" attitude
of the GTK kiddiez is getting better; I've only had to fix minor
build problems so far.  Right now I've just tripped over the
nightmare that is gtk-doc; I seem to lack the DocBook XML files.  A-
googling I shall go.

> I'll look forward to hearing your feedback relating to the cairo
> rendering once you try 1.5.2, or git HEAD code (1.5.2 isn't out yet
> though!).

   I assume I got the head with "git clone git://git.gpleda.org/
gaf.git"?

   (I'm a CVS/SVN guy...git gives me gas)

> Does your X server have the "render" extension? I'm not sure what
> cairo's performance will be like without that, but I recall that it
> can
> work without it - perhaps just not as fast.

   Not where I'll be using it, no.  I'll let you know how it works.
I can tell you that it's quite zippy (no noticeable performance
degradation from the non-Cairo version) on a DP G5 running OS X.  And
the output is gorgeous.  And kudos to whomever is responsible for
that light gray grid; it's very nice.

   Now if we could only do something about that horrid font.  I had
serious wood to integrate FreeType into both gschem and PCB awhile
back, but I've never been able to find the time. I've done some stuff
with FreeType and it's damn impressive...and using it doesn't
generate two dozen dependencies. =)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire