Re: gEDA-user: symbol databases, was Re: Wish list, sort of

On Jan 6, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> No doubt, a data base can be fine and powerful. However, many tasks
> have
> to be implemented by the application. From the top of my head:
> searching, editing, versioning,	back-up, character encoding,
> permissions,
> import/export, updates, ...
>
> Failure to do these tasks properly would cripple the user
> experience. A
> directory based approach can refer the user to the general tools of
> the
> OS. No need to spend valuable developer resources on this kind of
> infrastructure.

Yes! If you keep your project's symbols together in a project symbol
directory, this is very easy. Each symbol file encodes a relation,
including graphics, and is conveniently editable in gschem. The files
are also easy to process with classic text tools. That's your database.

But there seems to be a mental block here. We keep trying to make the
library symbols more usable, and don't "get" that that's a road a
billion files long.

The library symbols are templates only: a facility to automatically
copy a selected symbol to the project symbol directory is needed. Do
that, and the user is defended from library changes, "Hs" works right
(you can edit the symbol), and you can minimize promotion of
attributes (most belong in the database, not the schematic) and
editing of promoted attributes (just change the symbol, not every
instance). Better leverage.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx