Re: gEDA-user: symbol databases, was Re: Wish list, sort of

Hi John,

On Dienstag, 6. Januar 2009, John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Yes! If you keep your project's symbols together in a project symbol
> directory, this is very easy. Each symbol file encodes a relation,
> including graphics, and is conveniently editable in gschem. The files
> are also easy to process with classic text tools. That's your
> database.

I've added a per project symbol library to the todo list of gEDA 1.8:
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:todos#stable1

> But there seems to be a mental block here. We keep trying to make the
> library symbols more usable, and don't "get" that that's a road a
> billion files long.

> The library symbols are templates only: a facility to automatically
> copy a selected symbol to the project symbol directory is needed.

Not sure. I prefer having complete symbols for all larger parts and only
symbol templates for small parts (resistors, ...). But no matter how
the data source (symbol library) provides the symbols I think It would
be good to have a local storage for every project (or schematic).

> Do that, and the user is defended from library changes,

This would also help to maintain the symbol library, as you don't have
to take care of every user of the library.
If there's a bad symbol in the library you can change or delete it.

Regards
Werner