Re: gEDA-user: symbol databases, was Re: Wish list, sort of

On Jan 6, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2009, at 6:26 PM, John Doty wrote:
>>> I have used some of the comercial schematic packages that allow
>>> integration of attribute information into a database.  It provides
>>> significant improvements for tasks such as; generating purchasing
>>> requests, inventory management, and bill of materials management,
>>> and
>>> component obsolescence.  When viewing the attributes on the
>>> schematic,
>>> one is looking at the latest component information.
>>
>> That's part of what using a project symbol directory, instead of
>> library symbol instances, achieves. The only difference between this
>> and some other kind of database is the form of the capsule around the
>> information. A symbol file is a perfectly reasonable capsule.
>
>    Well, and network availability.  (assuming no NFS)

I'm not clear on what your point is. In my flows, the "source" files
from which the entire design can be regenerated go into CVS.
"Releases" are "tagged" just as in a software flow, so I can readily
look up the history of the versions that made it to hardware. And
generally it is a software flow, too, since software is often part of
the project. If the network isn't available, I can't access the
archive, but I can still access whatever the "current" design on my
laptop is, which is generally good enough except at the time of a
release.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx