Re: gEDA-user: symbol databases, was Re: Wish list, sort of

On Jan 6, 2009, at 7:22 PM, John Doty wrote:

>>> That's part of what using a project symbol directory, instead of
>>> library symbol instances, achieves. The only difference between this
>>> and some other kind of database is the form of the capsule around
>>> the
>>> information. A symbol file is a perfectly reasonable capsule.
>>
>>    Well, and network availability.  (assuming no NFS)
>
> I'm not clear on what your point is. In my flows, the "source" files
> from which the entire design can be regenerated go into CVS.
> "Releases" are "tagged" just as in a software flow, so I can readily
> look up the history of the versions that made it to hardware. And
> generally it is a software flow, too, since software is often part of
> the project. If the network isn't available, I can't access the
> archive, but I can still access whatever the "current" design on my
> laptop is, which is generally good enough except at the time of a
> release.

   A perfectly good approach, of course.  I'm in a situation, though,
in which the network is *never* unavailable, for other reasons, and I
am a big fan of centralized storage and decentralized processing.
That is the standpoint from which I speak.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL