gEDA-user: New user to PCB - what does this error mean?

I'm new to PCB and I'm trying to create my first board after following
the tutorials.

What I want is a single copper layer (the component side as everything
is SMD) so I have removed all layers except 'component', 'silk' and
'rat lines'.

I have imported my devices from the gschem file (via gsch2pcb etc) but
I have not imported the netlist because it includes all of the ground
connections which I want to have replaced by a ground plane, and also
when I do import the net list and select the 'optimise rats nest'
command, the process goes to 100% o f CPU and doesn't come back (at
least it was still working after I left if overnight - for a circuit
with 2 IC's, 2 transistors, 8 resistors and 7 capacitors, this seems a
little excessive!)). Therefore I'm trying to add in connections
manually.

I have arranged the devices in approximately the locations I want them
and I switched to the 'rat lines' layer. I then selected the 'Line'
tool. However when I click on a pad I get one of the processors run up
to nearly 100% and the following message appears on the terminal
emulator output:

(pcb:32709): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_foreach: assertion
`GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (model)' failed

Is this something that I'm doing wrong?

Is this a known bug and, if so, what is the workaround?

What I would ideally like to do is to use a technique I saw on the
Internet that allowed one to draw a rectangle around the entire layout
and it would automatically leave a gap around all pads, with the use
of the 'thrm' tool to connect the appropriate pads to the ground
plane. Unfortunately, the rectangle seems to cover all pads, leaving
no gaps at all. Therefore I thought I'd try adding in the lines first
which is when I ran into the above error.

As the error occurred on my 3rd failed attempt to lay out what I think
of as a very simple circuit, I obviously need help.

Thanks

Susan