Re: gEDA-user: New-install ? dbus-launch

On Saturday 10 January 2009, Peter Clifton wrote:
> "spice" doesn't as such exist. The closest open source is
> "ngspice", which is its own project - although does come
> under the gEDA umbrella.

Actually, there are a bunch of open source Spice programs.  You
can still download spice-3f5 from Berkeley, but I don't have
the link.  It's old and now suffers from bit-rot.  The old
Fortran version 2g6 is also available, and due to its age also
suffers from bit-rot.

Having said that, ngspice is a maintained derivative of 3f5, so
if you want an open source spice (a true spice), ngspice is the
one to get.

gnucap is a modern simulator that has some enhancements and new
technology that has happened more recently than spice, that
provides some improvements over spice.

For the newbies ....  "bit-rot" means that it worked fine in its
day, but has not been maintained, so it might have trouble on
newer systems, like "Linux".